954 Area Code: Details, Map, Time Zone & More
Ever wonder where the digits in your phone number come from and what do they mean? As you probably suspected, each segment has a reason for being there.
Like most codes, it contains information in each part that allows it to function properly and send your call to the right place. If you dial a phone number using even one digit more or less than the exact code (we’ve all tried it), you quickly realize that it just doesn’t work.
While we take for granted that phone numbers work and don’t really think about how this number connects our call, the system is made possible because those groups of numbers work together in the right way.
Now you can finally understand what each part of the phone number means and what it does.
Area codes bring a call to the largest geographical region that can contain multiple cities; at the same time, large cities generally have multiple area codes.
RELATED: Where is 573 Area Code Located?
Where is 954 Area Code?
Area codes 954 and 754 are area codes for Broward County, Florida, United States. Notable cities within the numbering plan area are Fort Lauderdale, Plantation, Hollywood, Sunrise, Pompano Beach, Coral Springs, Deerfield Beach, Davie, Weston, Dania Beach, Oakland Park, and Pembroke Pines.
The 954 area code entered service on September 11, 1995 in a division of the 305 area code, which was the original and unique area code for Florida in 1947, when the North American Numbering Plan was created.
Broward County had used 305 for 48 years, and numerous divisions over the years had made 305 more or less coextensive with the Miami-Fort Lauderdale area.
This division was intended as a long-term solution, but in five years 954 was already close to exhaustion due to the explosive growth of South Florida and the proliferation of auxiliary devices such as cell phones, pagers and fax machines.
In November 2000, the Florida Public Utilities Commission approved the use of an overlay area code to serve Broward County, after a telecommunications industry group sought alternatives to ease tension in the county.
It was projected that 954 would be depleted by the third quarter of 2002. The North American Numbering Plan Administration (NANPA) announced on December 4, 2000 an area code overlay plan for the relief, assigning the area code 754 to the same territory in Broward County.
The area code was activated on August 1, 2001 and began use on April 1, 2002. As required by the overlay plan, ten-digit dialing became mandatory in Broward. As 954 exchanges sell out, new numbers use the 754 area code.
RELATED: 714 Area Code
Map of 954 Area code Map
954 Area Code For Business
Why Choose the Florida Area Code?
With a population of approximately 1.6 million, Florida is home to the fourth largest economy in the nation. Many people choose Florida when they want to establish a new business or attract new clients.
The 954 area code is packed with small businesses that surprisingly make up more than 42% of the state’s workforce. So, let’s take a look at what benefits local area code number 954 will bring to your business in Florida.
Area Code 954 Benefits
- Cost of living: Florida’s current minimum wage rate is $ 8.46, as of January 2019. The cost of living in Florida is slightly higher than in the US but significantly lower than in New York, Chicago, etc.
- Competitive labor market: The unemployment rate in the Fort Lauderdale area code is as low as 4.5%. This indicates the presence of a highly competitive job market. With the best institutions giving rise to unlimited talent, companies and businesses must be well equipped to ensure the most competitive Millennial workforce. Job growth in the city over the next ten years is expected to be 38%.
- Low taxes: Florida is one of those 7 US states that has a low overall tax burden. The state constitution prohibits such a tax, although Floridians still have to pay federal income taxes. That is why there has been a recent advent of so many businesses in Florida from the adjacent areas.
- Tourism: Tourism is the primary driver of the local economy. The state witnesses tourism as one of the most rapidly flourishing industries. With its beaches, theme parks such as Disney World and Universal Studios, it’s is the dream destination for many people.
- Educational hub: Universities and colleges are almost everywhere. Therefore, there are many opportunities to establish a business in education or to get clients. There is the National University of Florida in Miami, the Art Institute of Fort Lauderdale, Nova Southeastern University, to name just a few.
The 954 area code (with an overlay of 754) belongs to Broward County, Florida, and covers the cities of Fort Lauderdale, Pembroke Pines, Hollywood, Coral Springs, and Miramar and many more. Also known as ‘the sunshine state’, Florida, with the 954 area code, is an access point for businesses large or small.
The top 7 industries for small businesses in Florida are elderly care services, healthcare services, tourism, food and accommodation, technical and scientific services, agriculture, and real estate.